I consider myself a teacher. I teach one American History class for 7th graders. I am so glad I do. I walk into that classroom, and whether staff comes to watch (which I encourage) it's just me and the kids. And I have to unlock, and probe, and motivate....and most times the frustration that occurs as I fail or succeed washes over me, and I know that this is why I do this. I will always be a teacher.
But I'm not ..... really. I'm an administrator largely. I multitask well. I try to lead my staff as best I can. I'm "hands on." I want to spend my time talking with kids. Figuring out how to make my community a true community. Not just of learners. But of people who care about each other. I said to a friend tonight that I could only see myself doing this for 5 more years. He responded maybe in 5 years you'll realize that you have 5 more years to give. I hope he's right. There's so much I want to try to accomplish and I'm impatient.
I worry about how successful I am. Not for myself or my ego. But because I realize how special an opportunity I've been given. This is not work.....it's my "work." As in a "calling." Look, I was successful at nothing I tried before this. But I took every experience, and every encounter, and put it into this. It's about the kids.
Monday, March 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
It's so nice to see a passion for one's work! I have it but on a different level simply because the scope of what I do is so not sure of the word is.....but anyway it's nice to see the passion!
Post a Comment